Last week, Adam and I went to the Holocaust Museum. I chatted a bit with the security guard as we went in because he kept saying "Take a sip of your water, take a sip of your water." I thought he was saying sip your water because now you have to throw it out. But then he just let us take it in. "Oh, I see," I said, "You have to make sure it's water and not something else." He nodded and then did the usual thing of asking us to take off jackets, etc. Not 24 hours later that guard had been shot to death in the Holocaust Museum shooting...I remember his face. It was extremely upsetting an unsettling...definitely an extension of the experience of all the themes in the museum.
Today, I went to Virginia right outside DC, for a short course I'm taking on teaching reading. After the class was over I got on the Orange Line to the Red Line and then transferred to the MARC train (commuter train) to come back to Baltimore. An hour later, there was a huge accident on the Red Line... the worst accident in 33 years. Two trains somehow collided. Four people were killed and many were injured (I'm not sure of the facts yet).
Bill heard about it in Atlanta and called me...(I was already home) and then Aaron heard it on the radio and asked..."Boy,"he said, "You sure are unlucky." Hey, I'd say I was LUCKY!!
No comments:
Post a Comment