Sent from my iPhone
Begin forwarded message:
Dear all,
We made it through! Hurricane Sandy was quite something! The rain started during the day, and then in the late afternoon it got windy. I think the storm hit landfall in early evening. Our basement started to take in water around 8pm, during the worst of the rain and wind...there was just so much water in the ground that it started coming in from the walls. Good thing we haven't built back the basement yet from LAST year's storm. We could see just where the water was coming in. The boys mopped and ran the wet vacs...but the water was rushing in so fast it was hard to keep up.
In the attic where the stone chimney is exposed I could see water weeping in through the mortar. And in the kitchen a tiny spot at the top of the window leaked in. I created a little "road" for the drips (with duct tape) leading down to a container. It worked. The dogs were very puzzled by all the running around...the mopping, the wet vac-ing, and dashing around. They seemed concerned and anxious. Later, when we decided to just leave it for awhile, Cody brought his frisbee to Aaron as if to say, "Care for a little R and R?"Amazingly...today the basement is almost dry.The good thing is...we never lost power!!! If it had, our sump pump would have not worked and we would have MUCH more water in the basement.We have yet to venture out, but looking out I can see big branches on the ground...some across the street where we often park our cars. It was a crap shoot trying to decide where to put our cars so as to avoid trees falling...tricky since we have big trees everywhere.We were told Hurricane Sandy would last through tonight (even into tomorrow)...but it went through much faster than expected. WHEW.I hope I have no more news to report on this!Love,Jeni
No comments:
Post a Comment